Going Back on Everything I Said (Despite the Evidence)

In this week’s writing, I explain how I managed to go back on several things I’d very confidently said earlier — and then quietly ignore the fact there’s actual evidence of me saying them.

One of the big declarations I made early on was that I wouldn’t be asking friends to play on the album. I didn’t want to impose, I didn’t want favours, and I definitely didn’t want to drag anyone else into what was already becoming a mess. That idea lasted longer than most of my good intentions, but not forever.

One night, while venting on the phone to my friend Ant about the ongoing struggle of finding people to record with, he offered to record the bass. Technically, I didn’t ask. Technically… I may have steered the conversation in that direction. Either way, I wasn’t turning it down.

I’ve known Ant for years. He’s reliable, professional, and a bass player first and foremost. As a bonus, he already worked closely with Adrien in Lost Brethren, meaning file sharing and collaboration were second nature.

So despite saying I wouldn’t involve friends, I now had my friend of 16 years, Adrien, on guitar, and my friend of 12 years, Ant, on bass, and a Fiverr drummer from Brazil.

Lesson learned: principles are flexible when the solution is this convenient.

Popular posts from this blog

What is this???

BLOOD HIGH - BEHIND THE LYRICS

Spending £210 to Fix a Problem Nobody Would’ve Noticed